These cookies are scrumptious! I’m usually not a marshmallow kind of gal, unless they are melted in rice crispy treats or toasted around a campfire for s’mores, but I saw a picture of these and HAD to have them. I bought a new recipe book, Martha Stewarts Cookies, which I highly recommend to anybody. It has some delicious treats, and I want to make every single recipe in this book. Every single thing sounds tasty. I’ve been a baking fool lately! My husband comes home from work and just rolls his eyes. And I have to say…Yes I’ve been baking again. But I can’t help it, I’m addicted! Anyways, these were definitely worth the mess in my kitchen they made, and I will definitely make them again!
Chocolate Marshmallow Delights
For the cookies:
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp course salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
About 15 marshmallows, halved crosswise
For the frosting:
3 cups confectioners’ sugar (you may need to add a little more )
6 tbl unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make cookies: Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. (I just use a whisk, it does the same thing.)
2. Put butter and sugar into the bowl and mix on medium high until fluffy and pale, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium low; mix in egg, milk and vanilla. Mix in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined.
3. Using a 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately press a marshmallow half on top of each cookie. Bake until marshmallows begin to melt, 2 minutes more. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
4. Make frosting: Put powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Melt butter with the cocoa in a sauce pan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add butter mixture to the powdered sugar. Whisk in milk and vanilla.
5. Spread about 1 tbl of frosting on top of each cookie to cover marshmallow. Let stand until set, about 10 minutes. Cookies can be stored in single layers in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 days.